11.16.2008

what doesn't burn your house down...

only makes you stronger.
Friday night, while I was at work. I received a call from the Boy at work. I was so busy, that I didn't have time to answer it. A few minutes later my friend Adam tells me I have another call. I thought it was kind of wierd, but I didn't think twice about it. Finally at around 12:15 I got around to calling the Boy back.
the Boy:"Hey girl, there's a fire by your house, even closer than the last one..."
Me:"Oh Shit, lemme call you back, I gotta call my Dad and see what's going on."
the Boy: "OK, I love you cute girl! Be careful."
Me: "OK. Love you Boy. Bye."
..."See ya later Boss, house is close to flames...PEACE!"
driving...driving...where's my damn bluetooth...
ring...ring...
Dad: "Hello? Tiff?"
Me: "Dad, It's me. How's the house, Are you OK?"
Dad: "I'm ok. Embers are raining down from the mountain above the house...nothings has caught. Raymond's back yard caught, but we put it out. We're in the mandatory evacuation area, where are you?"
Me: "Holy Shit. I can see it from the freeway. It's Huge! I'm on my way home now."
Dad: "You won't be able to come up here, they blocked it all off. There's police barracades. Just stay at (the Boy)'s house, I don't want you up here breathing all this smoke. I packed all your clothes and shoes, is there anything else you need?"
Me: "...I'll be there in ten minutes Dad, don't worry, but i'm coming home."
Fuck a police barracade. I'm going to my house.
I made it to my house. :]
I put out a box of stuff on the side of my house that went up in flames.
Also my neighbors palm tree...which probably saved their house.
I stayed up until 6:30 am wetting down my house and yard, and putting out small flare ups around the neighborhood with my Dad and his friend Raymond. It was awful. What an experience.
I took Saturday off and slept for about 3 hours total. Then got up and showered...and smoked for the first time since early Friday morning. That was a cool buzz.
I couldn't believe how many people abandoned their houses. I would hate to be sitting somewhere helpless and constantly worrying if my house is burning down.
I can honestly say that if my Dad and I were not at our house, it would have burned down. Along with a few of our neighbors. We saved 4 houses. It was pure insanity.
We live on a steep hill. The streets run horizontally across the hill. So if you look up the hill, you can see other people's back yards. I saw one of those yards catch on fire from a small ember. I got in my car and drove up to the next street and knocked and knocked and got no answer. I went around the side of the house, assuming they had evacuated, found a hose and started putting out the fast growing fire on their hillside. It was raining embers all along our hillside.
Ugh. Sheesh.
Crazy.
I am so thankful for my Father and my house.
I worked this morning. Made a quick 70 bucks. I need to pay my bills.
Smoked a nice fatty "bloint". Bloint - A joint sized, referring to length, blunt. Rolled in a tobacco blunt wrap.
more later...

1 comment:

Rebel Mel said...

For some reason blogger doesn't alert me when you make a new post, which is weird. But I have got to say, I have been trying to keep up with all the wildfires that are going on, even though I am across the country.

Ever since I saw that last episode of weeds on season three with the wildfires, I realized how serious they are. We don't have stuff like that around here, with the minor exception of my favorite diner burning down this summer, taking with it an asian restaurant and a nail salon, but it is unknown how this fire started, considering the places were closed when they caught. The fire just spread because of the heat. These three buisnesses are located on a street that I walk down literally at least once a day - the reminants of the store fronts were hot for days. It freaked me out, but I am getting off point, I see.

I can't imagine what it would be like to hope that my house was safe. I don't understand how some people so easily flee and hope for the best. I really want to congratulate you on taking care of buisness, dood!